When you think about solid food for your pancreatitis diet when you are NOT yet healed, think VEGAN until you no longer have pain. In fact, I suggest a modified VEGAN diet (no meat, no dairy, no oil or fat) for 6 months or until you are healed enough to where you have ZERO symptoms. Once you no longer have symptoms (pain, nausea) you can begin to add in safe protein sources such as poultry and white meat fish.
Safe foods for a pancreatitis diet are few but include the following:
- Fish (white meat fish such as cod, halibut, bass, crappie, pollack, orange roughy, talapia, catfish)
- Seafood (lobster, shrimp, crab, scallops, clams etc)
- Poultry (skinless chicken, turkey, grouse, pheasant, quail)
- Egg whites (4 grams of protein per egg white, ZERO fat)
- Legumes (beans, lentils, peas)
- Vegetables (all kinds – leafy greens, tubers and cruciferous)
- Fruits (all kinds EXCEPT avocado and coconut)
- Whole grains (wheat, barley, oats, rice etc)
- Spices (especially good are cayenne, garlic, turmeric, black pepper, ginger because all are anti-inflammatory)
If you are in pain (you haven’t healed) the above meat protein sources may also contain too much fat so tread carefully. When choosing from the above safe foods for your pancreatitis diet try to go organic to avoid GMO’s, chemical pesticides and other unwanted additives. You can buy organically raised poultry and wild fish. Both are harder to find and more expensive but in my opinion worth it.